Thursday, October 1, 2015

October 1, Thursday

One of the many watch repair guys set up all up and down the street.  To replace my battery, he removed the back of the watch and then couldn’t get it back on.  He pressed and pressed, showing me the marks embedded in his thumbs.  Finally, he gave up and used pliers, while I held my breath, worrying that he was going to smash the face.  The back is on but I’m nervous about wearing the watch. I took my broken flip flop back to the repair guy at his street stand.  He insisted I was bringing him the OTHER flip flop and not the one he repaired.  I stood my ground and he fixed it again, for free.  I got home, took a look at the bottom of the other one, and surmised he may indeed be right, so I have to seek him out and give him more $.  I should learn by now that I’m rarely right. My classes are going really well.  I would be so happy, if only I had air-conditioning.  The days of 5 classes back to back are killers, and on Tuesdays I have 6 followed by a volunteer meeting.  After almost every lesson my student tells me how much they enjoy my class.  I glow.  Well, that’s probably sweat.  I put moisturizer on my face and tried to follow it w/ powder blush.  The combination of powder, cream, and sweat made paste.   I heap praise on my students.  I want them to always feel good about themselves and their ability to learn English.  I wish someone had given me such positive feedback.  They walk away feeling a sense of accomplishment and so do I. Daniel’s circus car hit a motorcyclist in one of the many Managua round-abouts.  I’d be terrified to drive in Managua because the round-abouts are everywhere and people can enter and leave from many points.  It’s a free-for-all.  I’ve been w/ my friend Lorine when she negotiates them and I just close my eyes.  The motorcyclist went flying and apparently has a broken leg.  Even though Daniel insists it was the other guy’s fault, the driver is held liable.  They have crazy laws here.  You don’t get charged w/ many crimes if you just pay off the “victim.”  They figure it’s not going to help them much if you go to jail; they’d rather have the cash in pocket.   You can kill someone and pay your way to freedom.  The police put Daniel in jail overnight but let him out in the morning.  He had an appt. back there this morning.  I haven’t spoken to him yet to see what’s happening.  There is never a dull moment with Daniel because he has a cloud over his head.  All the money he’s earned with his circus work will go to pay the motorcyclist’s hospital bills.  Luckily, the circus car didn’t have a dent on it.     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home