Monday, September 28, 2015

September 23

I’m getting way too old for this.  I stopped by the office on Monday to pick up my teaching schedule.  All I had done was walk the six long blocks from home to the office.  Donald, one of my supervisors, who’s not known for his tact, asked, “Why are you so wet?”  All my students wanted to greet me with a hug and kiss, which just slid off my sweaty face. I’m like a farm animal.  I’ve been able to handle the heat before.  It’s getting to me now. it’s fine in the morning, it’s fine during the night.  But daytimes are killers.  I started teaching yesterday.  A grueling way to begin because I had 6 classes, back to back, with an hour off at the Garden Cafe for lunch (my favorite waiter remembered my daily order…BLT, no mayonesa, no mosteza, fruta, y un vaso de agua con hielo).  And then I went directly to the 5 p.m weekly volunteer meeting.  You coulda wrung me out. instead of sharing space with all the ayudantes, La Esperanza Granada gave me my own little table, decorated with Bienvenidos welcome paper flowers by creative Antonia, pushed up against a side wall.  I have my fan, stacking letter trays, my school supplies. I don’t have to shlep my books back and forth.  I love my space.  But I’m nowhere near the open front door and there are no windows.  In between the classes, I have to walk to the door and gulp air to sustain me. My Spanish is rusty from 3 months of dis-use, I’m searching to come up with words.  I’m crazy about my students.  A few of my longterm kids aren’t taking English because they’re too busy, but I’ve got a full schedule, and only two new students.  They’re so jazzed about learning English.  They write down everything I say.  I had packed my usual wardrobe of shorts & tanks.  Unfortunately, I went to the dermatologist a day before departure.  I’d had 6 cancer biopsies on my legs 3 mos ago.  They were slow to heal.  My doctor suggested chemo treatment, so he injected each one (that REALLY hurts), which resulted in exactly the opposite of what I’d hoped for.  I must have an allergic reaction because now the cancers that were on the brink of being gone are bright red and the size of jar tops.  My dermatologist hasn’t answered my email.  It’ll be months before I can wear shorts, and I only brought a limited amount of long pants.  I think of myself as this healthy person; the Fates don’t seem to have the same perception. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home