Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday, September 19

Not to give myself a kenahora, but I've been in Nicaragua for almost two days, and I haven't broken a single bone. I do tiptoe around lamp cords and the stove, however. They are worthy foes; I will respect and avoid them. Thursday was exhausting travel day from hell. Off to the airport at 5 a.m., didn't arrive at my Granada house until about 11 p.m. Somewhat unexpected six hour layover in Houston. Luckily, I had a pass to the United Club so I set myself up in a computer cubbyhole and made extensive use of their snack bar. Actually, I made 2 whole meals of it. I always wonder about all the people in the United Club and all the people in First Class and Business Class, while I stumble on toward steerage; how did they get so much more money and privilege than I? They don't look like they should have entitlements. I spent all of yesterday unpacking suitcases (for some reason, I brought 3 xs as many clothes as I will need) and the 7 large cardboard cartons I left here at Casa Pilar in the storage room. I'm a Nicaragua hoarder. I don't know how I've managed to accumulate so much stuff. The first time I came here, I just had clothing. Now I have a toaster oven and a steamer and knives and a microplane and a sound system and many fans and lamps and pool toys and pans and spices. That doesn't begin to take into account my teaching materials. I'm going to teach out of the office this time, rather than my home. Now that my ankle is mended I can walk and I missed the camaraderie of hanging around the office. It will be hot and I'll have to wear one of their logo T-shirts, but it's hot here too. I bought 2 beige T-shirts at the Gap and had the logo attached so at least I'll have a breathable fabric. These poor volunteers wear the equivalent of iron shield T-shirts buyable from La Esperanza Granada.

1 Comments:

At September 21, 2015 at 1:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hope you receive this--let me know with your next blog if you got it. I wanted to tell you how well your dinner was--I was up late with Jordan and Noah and I didn't want to drive up there after I woke up--hope you got my note letting you know. I thought the wedding and celebration were outstanding--to show you--I'd rate it the best one short of course to Donne/Riley Bachanale! Back to basics. Sharing my Lexus with Jordan. We spent many hours over three days and it was mutual that he will get a new Honda Hybrid when the 2016 arrives in the first week in November. Jordan waiting for Fresno week-end job offer. Maybe will here this week? If he needs to go up there--then we'll will need to get him another source of transportation. I am hoping Madalyn with help sharing the car expenses which Jordan and I will cover--he has worked very, very hard to earn his (second) diploma. I've met about six Match.com women--ehh!--will go out with one of them again soon but not the best fit with me. Having dialysis means, maybe on the second date, the women will be told I cannot go abroad (will cost me $500 for each treatment--(though Hawaii OK because Hawaii has MediCare)--but most of the women want to go to Europe, etc with a guy--I don't blame them. That was a concern also for Marilyn. Oh, well! Glad you're with your paramore! Richard Sandler (didn't want note to have anonymous content (!)note go thru as stated.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home