Monday, November 30, 2015

Monday, November 30

An example of the Nica toilet humor. Why?Partial audience the taping of “Granada’s Got Talent” at the Palacio del Arte. Juan Carlos, my estudiante, is one of the remaining contestants. He’s survived two eliminations. I didn’t stay to the end on Saturday so I’m not certain of that days’ results. They started an hour late because someone forgot to deliver the chairs for the audience so they had to contract another chair company while everyone waited. But, of course, as you know by now, this is Nicaragua. My showing up at 2 p.m. precisely was simply stupidity on my part. The talent was pretty sad, i.e. this guy in vaquero attire.The next guy was painful . After each performance, a la “Dancing with the Stars,” the judges seated here offered their opinions and a number grade. I was sitting on top of the speaker and cound barely understand their ctiques but I’ll ask Juan Carlos later today. Here is Juan Carlos. I think he could have given a bit more attention to his wardrobe. From my understanding, he received more 3s than 5s which was not a good thing. I hope he wasn’t eliminated.This next group danced a la Michael Jackson. Michael is turning in his grave. I found out my student and Thanksgiving lunch date Karina likes to read. READ! She’s the only person in Nicaragua. I’m bringing her a book today. My Spanish teacher filled me in on some of the Navidad details as we just entered Purisima. I can’t remember what that is but has something to do with the Virgen and Immaculate Conception. The residents of each street decorates like mad. The major domo has been selected by the church for his/her devotion during the year. The procession, along with a band accompanying the virgen, winds its way down one street per evening. They go house to house and, if you’ve got $, you can request a prayer or a song. I remarked to Maria Lydia on the amount of young people I see in the processions. She replied that they rarely show up in church, they’re in the processions because it’s an excuse to get out of the house. There are celebrations in the park every night with fireworks. I can see them clearly from my house. I don’t even have to get up from my desk chair. The fireworks this year were particularly good. On Christmas, instead of Santa Claus, the kids write letters to El Niño Dios. They put the letters in the Christmas trees which every house seems to have.

1 Comments:

At January 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM , Blogger AGERM said...

Ginger! Hoping you remember me from Chuck Blore days. Saw a picture of Jack recently and would like to go visit him, maybe take him to lunch. He was always so kind to me -- you were, too. I am very impressed with all the pro bono work you are doing -- I'm still writing doll commercials. My email is agerm52@gmail, phone 310 471-5036. Thank you and let me know...AG

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home